Sixty one (61) State Transport Undertakings (STUs), which are members of Association of State Road Transport Undertakings (ASRTU), are operating 1,45,747 buses, out of which 51043 buses have facility for boarding and deboarding for persons with disabilities.
The following initiatives have been taken by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways to achieve the targets fixed in Accessible India Campaign:
- Circular regarding procedure for alteration in Motor Vehicles to facilitate the mobility of physically challenged persons
- Advisory regarding procedure for guidelines for granting registration certificates to differently abled persons and providing driving license for persons having monocular visions
- Advisories and letters issued to States/UTs from time to time, giving the following directions to STUs to achieve targets of Accessible India Campaign :
- 25% of Government owned public transport vehicles should be made fully accessible by March 2019
- All bus stops/ terminals/ ports should be made accessible
- Facilities for speedy licensing and registration may be provided to differently abled persons.
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Accessible India Campaign Section (AIC) is the nodal agency of Government of India.
Central Advisory Board (CAB) in r/o AIC has fixed target of 10% by March 2018. The target was revised by Committee of Secretaries in its meeting dt. 2.4.2018 to 25% by March 2019. Information in respect of 61 STUs is attached as Annexure.
ANNEXURE REGARDING DISABLED FRIENDLY BUSES
|S.No.||Name of the STU||Total No. of Buses||Number ofAccessible Buses|
|8.||Jaipur City TSL||293||293|
|23.||Arunachal Pradesh State Transport Deptt||255||0|
|24.||Bihar State Road Transport Corporation||414||105|
|25.||Himachal State Road Transport Corp.||3000||85|
|26.||J&K State Road Transport Corporation||570||0|
|27.||Meghalaya Transport Corporation||62||0|
|28.||Mizoram State Transport||40||0|
|29.||Nagaland State Transport||232||5|
|30.||Pepsu Road Transport Corporation||1045||20|
|31.||State Transport Punjab||646||0|
|32.||Punjab State Bus Stand Management Co.||1116||0|
|33.||Sikkim Nationalised Transport||97||0|
|34.||Telangana State Road Tpt. Corp||9691||122|
|35.||Tripura Road Transport||63||0|
|36.||U.P. State Road Transport Corp.||9219||5692|
|37.||Uttarakhand Transport Corporation||1225||0|
|38.||South Bengal State Transport Corporation||661||0|
|39.||West Bengal TCL||810||724|
|40.||Andaman & Nicobar Administration||257||257|
|41.||Ahmedabad Municipal Transport Service||741||650|
|43.||Pune Mahanagar Parivahan Mahamandal Ltd.||1958||1116|
|44.||Kohlapur Municipal Transport||135||75|
|45.||Kalyan Dombivli Municipal Transport Undertaking||61||49|
|48.||Bhubaneshwar-Puri Tpt. Services Ltd (CURT)||200||100|
|49.||Lucknow City Services Ltd.||260||260|
|50.||Meerut City Tpt. Services Ltd||120||120|
|51.||Allahabad City Tpt. Services Ltd.||127||127|
|52.||Varanasi City Tpt. Services Ltd.||130||130|
|53.||Agra-Mathura Tpt. Services Ltd.||230||230|
|54.||Kanpur City Tpt. Services Ltd.||270||270|
|55.||Chandigarh Transport Undertaking||587||298|
|56.||Puducherry Road Transport Corporation||110||10|
|57.||Kerala Road Transport Corporation||5489||5451|
|58.||Kerala Urban Road Tpt. Corpn (A subsidiary of Kerala SRTC)||719||719|
* Includes 8695 fully accessible buses.
This information was given by the Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Shri Nitin Gadkari in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha.